Spicy Sweet Corn Chowder (Vegan)
Perfect for the cold weather! Instead of using large amounts of heavy cream or other dairy products, this soup gets its silky texture by pureeing several cups of the soup and adding a modest amount of almond or coconut milk.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, which means I may earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Thank you for supporting my work & mission. Read my full disclosure here.
Use extreme caution when blending hot liquids as they can explode. Cool slightly and make sure the lid to your blender is properly ventilated before proceeding. You can also use a tea towel to cover the blender lid.
Spicy Sweet Corn Chowder
Save this recipe to your Vegan, Soup or Healthy Recipes Pinterest board.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
2 large carrots, finely chopped
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
4 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
5 cups organic vegetable stock
2½ lbs. Russet potatoes, chopped
5 ears sweet corn, kernels only
1 tbsp fresh oregano
2 tsp ground cumin
1 bay leaf
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
½ cup almond or full-fat coconut milk
Optional: fresh chives to garnish
Vegan Spicy Sweet Corn Chowder, anyone?
1. Thoroughly wash all vegetables and pat dry before prepping. Potatoes peels can be left on or removed according to personal preference.
2. Heat olive oil in a large, high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add chopped celery, carrots, onion, garlic, and jalapeno pepper to skillet. Sauté for several minutes, stirring continually, until vegetables are soft and fragrant.
3. Pour vegetable stock into skillet and add potatoes, sweet corn, oregano, cumin, and bay leaf. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
4. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until heated through and potatoes are tender, approximately 20 minutes. Stir occasionally while cooking.
5. Transfer 3-4 cups of soup mixture to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. (See safety tip above first!). Pour pureed soup mixture back into skillet and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
6. Stir almond or coconut milk into the skillet. Stir to combine and simmer another 5-10 minutes to heat through. Remove bay leaf and serve immediately. Enjoy!
So tell me, what's your favorite soup? Let me know in the comments below.
Check out other Vegan recipes: